A Little About Peter
Peter Smythe is the founder of Smythe PC, where he specializes in civil and criminal appeals in both federal and Texas courts. Peter also represents clients in select trials.
Peter graduated from the Texas Tech School of Law in 1993 where he served as a member of the Texas Tech Law Review. He also clerked at The Rutherford Institute in Charlottesville, Virginia, and served as an editor of the Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy. After graduation, he worked at a small trial-by-fire law firm where he handled everything from catastrophic personal injury cases to significant business disputes.
In 2000, Peter attended Gerry Spence's Trial Lawyer's College in Dubois, Wyoming. Shortly after completing that course work, he tried two cases to verdict which resulted in judgments of $1.3 million (personal injury) and $2.3 million (antitrust). Since those verdicts, he has concentrated his practice in appeals. Peter has served as lead appellate counsel on numerous appeals and briefed and argued substantive motions, including motions for summary judgment, jury charges, post-trial motions, and motions to dismiss.
Bar Association of the Fifth Federal Circuit
Federal Bar Association – Fort Worth Chapter
State Bar of Texas, Appellate Section
National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
The National Trial Lawyers
Peter is a member of the National Trial Lawyers. The National Trial Lawyers is a professional organization of America's top trial lawyers. Membership into the organization is by invitation only and is extended to those individuals who exemplify superior qualifications, trial results, and leadership in their respective state or major geographical area.
Christian Trial Lawyers Association
Peter is also a member of the Christian Trial Lawyers Association.
- Build a Better Brief, Dallas Area Paralegal Association (Dallas), August 2010
- Build a Better Brief, Dallas Area Paralegal Association (Collin County), September 2010
- Texas 1993
- US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- US District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- US District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- US District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- US District Court for the Western District of Texas
- JD, 1993, cum laude, Texas Tech School of Law, Texas Tech Law Review, associate editor
- BA, 1988, cum laude, Oral Roberts University, Communication
- Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy, associate editor, 1992
- Clerk, The Rutherford Institute, 1992
- Gerry Spence's Trial Lawyers College, 2000